Monday, March 4, 2013

2nd Week in Destin


Dearest Family
 
What a week. I have incredible news: I have officially found my first investigator!!!!!!!!!! I now know the joy of watching someone receive and hear the gospel for the first time and actually seeing the change in the countenace when the Spirit witnesses truth to their heart. Remember the text we got from the church head quarters? we saw those people. Their names are Steve and Cynthia Hoffer, they have a 2 month old baby girl, Claira, and they just moved to the area. They have 0 religious background. They said they are "blank slates" and that this is the first church they have felt any genuine interest in and desire to know more.They told us how they've been reading the Book of Mormon they found, so we gave them the lesson on the Restoration. The whole time...they never took their eyes of us. This was also my first time giving an actual full lesson so I was praying nonstop for help from the Spirit!!! when we got to the part about Joseph Smith- I couldn't believe it, but I got choked up. I recited the first vision and then paused bc the Sprit was so strong I literally couldn't speak. I felt the Spirit so strongly my own personal testimony grew in that moment, and as I listened to Sis. Christian bear her testimony of the Savior and His atonement, my testimony literally deepened and I got choked up. I was praying that they felt what I was feeling. The dad looked straight into our eyes and said, "it makes sense." Simple as that. I told them how good this was for them to find this when their daughter was young so she could be raised in it. They both just looked at each other with tears in their eyes and said they wanted to know more. "can we come to church?" They actually asked us before we even invited them. 
It was amaziing to see how the Lord had been working with them long before we got there. The Lord loves His children. I felt and feel such love for them, I can hardly believe it. We are teaching them again this Friday. Amazing, these people are amazing. The mother, Cynthia then asked me what to do about her piercings (she has several) and clothes, she was concerned that she looked different from other "Mormons" and she was scared she couldn't come to church bc of her piercings. I was floored by her humility. We explained the rule about piercings because our body is a temple and sacred and she said she understood. We assured her that she would not be looked down upon though; she was not accountable or aware of things until now. She asked where to buy modest clothes, so we are taking her shopping next week for church clothes!! my heart could burst with love for her. They are struggling to understand the Book of Mormon language so we also are bringing them a children's reader next lesson to help them see the storyline but Steven said "I love reading about Nephi. He is clearly a good man, I want to be like that."
It was a life changing experience for me. A great blessing after so many doors in my face and people not showing up for appointments, the Lord reminded me that yes there are people here that need you and are ready. What a blessing. After the lesson my heart felt 6x bigger. I have truly never felt such joy and peace. Also, 2 of the less active members we are teaching came to church yesterday!! One of them, Diane Gill, came and sat by me and I bore my testimony and after I sat down, she went up and shared hers!! once again, my heart swelled and spilled out my eyes as tears and I felt God's love for her. Her name is Diane Gill and she is elderly, her husband and son are both dead. 
I have hard times, and struggle with severe fatigue and headaches, but the Lord helps me through it. Getting letters this week really raised my Spirits :) thank you for the package and thank you for the letter Mommy!!!!!!!!! and thank you daddy!!!!! mom i cried when i got your package and letter, I needed it so bad...thank you. Keep the letters coming. I love you all so much. I pray for you all. thank you for your prayers, I soooooooooo need them, some days are really hard. Write me :) you are all the best, I am so glad God gave me you.
 
Love, Sister Bertoldo

No comments:

Post a Comment