Monday, July 8, 2013

4th of July Week

Dear family-
 
This week was rough!! But it ended really well. It's hurricane season in FL right now so all weekend it DUMPED rain!! The work was slow because of that and also because it was 4th of July week which is big out here with so many military families- I kind of felt like a wet puppy nobody wanted to let in! haha sad i know. However- we did have some families in the ward who were having big parties and they all invited us over so we ended up doing that and had a blast! It's crazy how much I love the people here- I really did feel like I was with family. 
   Another family in our ward is moving today, so they had a 4th of July going away party on the beach (which the ocean was more stormy than I have ever seen it- it was GORGEOUS!) and it was a beautiful family experience I will be forever grateful to have been a part of. The family is moving to Utah so I will be sure to see them when I get back home and out to school! She told me some very kind words that I will never forget in parting! It really is all about love and developing human relationships...that is where my deepest joys stem from.   
   We had another experience though that was truly hurtful! we were trying to contact a long list of people out in the fancy proper area in the pouring rain- so there we were, me in my floor length raincoat and boots and my little companion with her polka dot umbrella, we get to the door and the lady (who is a less active member) won't let us in!! she wouldn't even open the door all the way while I was speaking to her- she just left us out there in the storm and said," I can't let you in right now" haha. I was just really nice of course and said the whole "oh of course we understand!" but we did get a phone number out of her. Then as we're leaving, her non member husband started yelling at us to get off his property! My companion wanted to die so I had to put on a brave face and just smile and say "of course, you have a great day sir!". We had 0 success the rest of the day and finally went home for a really late lunch. It was hard- not gonna lie I was a little down- its hard sometimes I don't understand how people can be so mean to us!! But then i read Alma ch 8 which talks about how Alma was rejected in the land of Ammonihah and he began to be "exceedingly sorrowful" for the hardness of their hearts. He prays and "wrestles with the lord in mighty prayer" just as I had done..but then an angel of the Lord comes down to him and tells him, "be of good cheer! Lift up thy head, for thou hast been faithful in keeping all the commandments from the first time thou did receive the message." He basically tells him to rejoice and keep going, which he does!  So I did the same. 
  We went on to have a powerful lesson with a new investigator we found at church last week. She is 16 years old and living with her aunt for the next year. WE taught her the first part of the Restoration, "Christ's earthly ministry and Atonement" and I cant even express the power and peace of the Spirit that filled that home as we testified of CHRIST. We brought Arianna with us, a laurel in the ward, and she also shared her testimony. It was truly a beautiful experience. 
  Then at church yesterday, I was asked to teach Relief society. I had been asked to speak 2 weeks ago and my topic was Elder Nelson's GC talk "Catch the Wave". As i was reading and preparing the lesson for church yesterday- I felt very strongly impressed that I needed to focus on the Restoration. So i got out Preach My gospel and in my own words wrote out the whole 1st lesson in 6 main points. Then in Relief society I had the woman read them aloud and feel the power that we experience as missionary's everyday, of true doctrine. Then at the end I recited the 1st vision and testified to them that as we deepen our own testimony of the Restoration- our desire and ability to share it with others will increase. Heres the cool part though- yesterday at church we had 4 investigators in Relief Society- 4!!!! They all hear the entire 1st lesson and message of the Restoration just by being at church and coming to relief society! No wonder the Lord wanted me to teach and share that!! He knew they would be there!! As I recited the 1st vision I looked into every one of their eyes and 3 of the 4 women investigating had tears in their eyes, The Spirit had pierced their soul, just as I prayed it would. How humbled and grateful I felt for being able to teach those women that day. How inspired it was! How amazing it is to feel and see the Lord work through me- we are nothing but a mouthpiece for Him and then the Spirit carries the recognition of truth to their heart. I believe- I know many baptisms will shortly be ensuing. 
     We have another new investigator, 2 actually Jem and jade ages 13 and 14. Also John, who is an older man battling cancer and searching for truth but battling science vs. religion. Dad- I would love some advice on this one!! I feel so overjoyed and touched that so many of the investigators we are working with are teenage girls and young adult women. what a crucial age that is!! What a time that can make or break a woman and generations after her! I pray everyday that I will be able to live up to and be worthy and led and guided to know how to strengthen and fulfill the needs of all these girls/women Heavenly Father has entrusted me with. I do so love them! 
side note- we had a caterpillar infestation- it was nasty!! me and sister chandler woke up to 20 or so caterpillars crawling on our couch!! we got rid of them haha anyways I love you, and always pray you all. Hope all is well. what did you do for the 4th?? Oh! and singing went well on the 4th! someone recorded me singing I guess so I will send you the vid :)

Much Love 
Sister B

No comments:

Post a Comment