Tuesday, July 23, 2013

When thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren

Family Dearest!

Well as you know I had a trying week last week- however I am happy to say that after a series of tender mercies from the Lord and people in my life my faith and strength and joy has been restored renewed and strengthened! The work is moving forward! 
  Our ward had 3 baptisms this saturday- a mother and daughter, myrt and emma, who is 11 and what a beautiful thing it was! also a brother Lot who our elders were teaching- he has now joined his wife and family in the gospel!! As for me and sister Chandler- well we had a record of 22 lessons taught this week! Nothing improves perspective and mood better than hard work and earnest prayer.                    Every sunday we teach the Henderson family- 3 little girls in 11-3 range- i love them all DEARLY!! the 11 yr old always has her friend Autumn there who isn't a member but soaks it all up like a sponge!! We hope to start teaching her whole family so Autumn can be baptized! Sis Henderson is a member (a sweetheart and very strong woman) but the father is not. In the past he has always avoided the missionaries- but this last week he came out to get something and we snatched the opportunity! He had made us a dessert so i asked him how he made it and that led to a good convo and next thing you know we are talking and laughing up a storm!! He's a great guy. He even walked us out to our car! 
   This last sunday at our lesson with them the older girls (Autumn and the little Henderson girl, they are best friends) made us a big surprise. We got to their house and it was empty in their living room- we asked sis henderson- "Where are the girls?" she just smiled- then they came running out and had a big speech all written out. They thanked us for "teaching them all about the gospel and Jesus and the Articles of faith" they said how much they loved us and how excited they get every time we come- autumn then came out saying how her testimony has grown- then they left and came back out with a platter they decorated and cupcakes for each of us!! It was so cute and so touching- I cried. I have pictures of it I will send home. The dad came out to talk to us again! The spirit is really softening his heart- our prayers ascend to the heavens continually that we will able to start teaching him soon, Sis Henderson has long been praying for that day as well. 
      Then at church a little girl she's 4 years old, and ironically also named Brooke came running up to me and hugged me and whispered in my ear, "When I grow up I want to be a girl missionary like you." then she put her hands on my face and ran away- ah! I cried again. It is moments like these that I feel my Heavenly Father's love and gratitude washes over me. These tender mercies and sweet spirits sustain me and keep me going!! 
   Also- we had a lesson with Anya, she is Russian and not a member but her husband is and they have 3 kids. She has had the lessons in the past but to no avail. Well we went to see her last Wednesday not knowing what to expect but WOW did the spirit take over- it was powerful! WE started by sharing a general conference talk on trusting in the Lord- and then she asked this question, “How did you come to know Christ?” I was floored- what a question!! I didn’t expect that but the second she said that I felt the Spirit flood the room- so I told her- I testified- I told her when I first asked God- are you there? Do you know me? Am I really your daughter? I told her how I came to know Christ more fully as I got older and how I relied on Him and His atonement and as I testified she started crying…her husband just kept his head down. Then I was silent. Sister chandler bore her powerful testimony, then was silent. Then Anya said- “I want you to teach my son, Aerie, he’s 10. I want him to know Christ like you girls do.” So we now are teaching her son every week!! As we teach him we will also be teaching her- what a beautiful thing!! I cherish these opportunities to teach so many people’s children- what a joy! What a blessing!! I think of my own future children as I teach them. 
   Our dear sister Carla who has not been to church in over 12 years also came to Church this week simply because the Spirit allowed us to perceive the troubles in her heart so we could help her resolve them with the Lord and she has!! She came to church. 
     Many other things happened but I don’t have room to write- just know that this week was powerful. I have learned that progression in the gospel is measured and quantified in different ways- really it can’t be quantified- spiritual progression is just that- it’s spiritual. Its internal, its intangible. I will never allow the adversary to discourage me based on believing that people aren’t “progressing”. Our job is to love! We give our heart and soul to these people and sometimes they may fall short or fail to keep commitments- but isn’t that like Christ? Did not Christ give us HIS ALL HIS VERY LIFE and yet how often have we, have fallen short in keeping my promises to Him? I learned this pain I experience on the mission is yet another way I am being bound to Christ, drawing nearer to Him, coming to understand who He is, and learning to be more like Him even if that means “bearing His cross with Him.” I love these people and we will continue to give them our heart and soul even when they fall short because that’s what christlike love is- unconditional. 
     I love my mission and the lessons I’m learning. I also came across this scripture in Luke 22:31-32- “when thou art converted- strengthen thy Brethren.” I have been converted!! I will do my best to strengthen my brethren so they may know the joys of this gospel as well. 
      Family I love you- mom thank you for your powerful, counseling, simple and to the point letter- I needed that!! I love you. And thank you for the package of essentials! I needed that too haha and dad- thank you for your letter I love you you made me smile haha how was the backpacking trip? Tell Michael and Jared I love them. And mom tell all my little sisters that are growing into amazing young women that I love them! I think of you all often and always with smile on my face. 
     I want to tell you one other thing- last Monday when I was feeling a bit discouraged- elder sanders (our DL) randomly called. He said he felt inspired to call- he said simply this: Sister Bertoldo- I want you to know your Heavenly Father loves you. You are a successful missionary- you are a successful missionary because you are obedient and hard working and have sincere desires to share the gospel. You’ve touched more people than you can see. You’ve made all the difference here. You are going to be an amazing wife and mother.” Then He said that’s all he needed to say- and he was right- I had just prayed before he called and asked God, am I needed here? Am I a successful missionary in your eyes?” I guess I got my answer! 
     I testify to you that God does here and answer our prayers- but sometimes he wants us to act and live in faith without confirmation first- sou we can demonstrate our faith. I love this gospel!! DC 123:17 “Our trust in the Lord must be more powerful and enduring than our confidence in our own feelings and experiences.” I love you guys!! Cant wait to hug you all again.
Love sister B

No comments:

Post a Comment