Monday, July 7, 2014

"No one has learned the meaning of living until he has surrendered his ego to service. Patience is obedience prolonged." - Maxwell

Dear family-
I have decided that every week on the mission is like a mini life- every week is truly a marathon of ups and downs and by sunday when i am reflecting back on the week I can hardly believe all that has transpired only to have another week before me.
A lot happened this week- there were some stressful times- our apartment got flooded at 6:30 am this wedsnesday- the kitchen the carpets- all of it! and no one could come and fix it until 8:30! so that was rough dealing with that...and a few other things. But there is no need to dwell on those things- many wonderful things happened as well. Its seems like after the really hard days when opposition is just thick and ever present- i come home depleted and exhausted, and plead with the Lord for strength or forgiveness or comfort and better success the next day if its His will- but then there are those days that just feel like miracles- full of beautiful tender mercies where the hand of the Lord is evident and I come home full of peace, and joy and deep gratitude and awe at the Lord. And those always seem to outweigh the trials no matter how bad they are- so that is why at the end of the week I have nothing but good things to say- its not bc its always easy or bc only good things ever happen- quite the opposite actually- its just bc the good is so good it is impossible and wrong to dwell on the bad!
So- this week cora was baptized! she is amazing- I am so proud and amazed by her- such a faithful woman. her baptism was very small and spiritual no one in her family would come- but did this dampen her gratitude and spirits? no! all the people she loved most and who were dearest to her came from our ward. They even brought her thoughtful gifts which she is not accustomed to receiving. I sang "when I am baptized" for her directly to her, and she cried and cried.She was baptized with one smooth go and was absolutely glowing after! she then bore her testimony which was beautiful and powerful and pure- she cried and said- 'I will never miss a day- and i will never miss a sunday. I will never look back. I love my sisters who taught me. they are my family. I love them. This day is the beginning of my mission on earth." oh it was beautiful. Our investigator Violet came and she cried a lot and felt the spirit. She has still not fully committed to July 5th as her baptism date but she still studies and meets with us and keeps committments she is just getting a LOT of opposition- so keep praying for her. thank you for your prayers on her behalf! I know she will make it. The same with Marsha- she needs prayers she struggles with doubts bc of past beliefs and pre existing notions difficult for her to purge herself of- but she is trying. we had a break through lesson with her sunday! We talked about the Gospel of Jesus Christ as taught from the BOM and I explained how both personal revelation and proper priesthood authority are needed in  order to have the fulness and the two keep each other in check so to speak- we are expected to seek out our own answers after being taught by the words of our inspired prophets and apostles who have been given sacred priesthood keys- both are needed. she also had questions about repentance- i likened repentance to you dad. I told her that i knew you and mom love me unconditionally- but only bc i know just how much you love, i want to make you proud. so when i do something i know would disappoint you, i WANT to say sorry, not bc you wont love me if i dont, but bc i love you enough to come to you and apolagize, and then that is when you can pick me up dust me off and tell me you love me too and then i can move on without further guilt. that is repentance. when i put it to her like that she just looked at me and smiled- she got it- "so repentance isnt a bad thing..." she got it. anyways continued prayers for her!
Sunday our investigator shanon came to church for the first time! she loved it. i was so happy to see her! she is the one who lives at our complex next door. Cora's confirmation was beautiful it talked a lot about missionary work and how she will bring many of her friends to be baptized. i cried bc i know it is true. I cannot believe I am leaving in 2 weeks.
I hope ya'll had fun in new hampshire..i was thinking of you. 
Love sister Bertoldo



Cora's baptism

























No comments:

Post a Comment