Monday, May 6, 2013

A Week of Small and Simple Things


Dear Family-
 
   This week was one full of "small and simple things" that brought to pass great things. On friday during our library service, the manager asked me if I would help a woman at the computer to fill out her online order. I went over and helped her, and as I did she kept asking me all these questions about my nametag, my name and the Church- wow it was almost like a missionary moment or something!! haha welllllll good thing I'm a missionary :) She said,"Sister BERTOLDO? Ha! you can't be an Italian AND mormon- I've never heard of such a thing!" (I've found the name "Bertoldo" leaves quite and impression on people, its apparently quite the statement name and conversation starter, more than I had thought!) I happily launched right in to explaining who I am, what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is, and how I came to serve a mission. She was an older woman, named Jean, from Brooklyn New York. She was a nurse all her life. I told her all about Grandma and she was THRILLED at all the similarities and she glowed with pride when I told her she reminded me of Grandma! She said, "Oh hun, you're so kind, so kind." It was adorable. She told me her whole life story. I always love meeting new people because I love that moment when they see they can trust me and then everything shifts from stranger to friend, and when that happens they then confide in me the precious details of their life. I love that. I cherish that moment with every new person I meet. I call it "Stranger to friend conversion". Basically- she was riveted because she didn't know the "mormon" faith is Christian.  After a lengthy conversation, she said- "I want to see you again- you look so happy." She said she has been watching us come here every Friday and when she asked the library who we were they told her that we were Mormon missionaries, so that's why she had asked the manager to have me help her- she said, "I was curious- very curious. And I still am! I want to know more." Oh! how those words are music to my ears! haha on the mission those are the best words to hear, "I want to learn more." She will be coming in every Friday to talk. Small thing- big potential. 
   Also- Wednesday I woke up with a fever and sore throat. Allergies and summer fever is going around right now, its a southern thing I guess, and apparently I caught it. We had a long list of appointments that day that I didn't want to cancel on so I just prayed and asked Heavenly Father to remove this from me as fast as possible. I was all stressed out inside, and went to bed with every fan on in the apartment. When the members heard I was sick (I don't know how, I didn't tell them) I was overwhelmed with their love. Truly it really touched me. When I woke up there were several texts and messages from members in the branch calling to see how I was feeling. I was shocked! Also, Beverly Henry, a sweet older lady in our branch brought me over some homemade chicken and veggie soup, all organic- I was so touched and felt so loved. She said, "Well all my grandchildren are gone, I consider you my granddaughter who's sick!" It was such a tender mercy from the Lord, and I was so overwhelmed with gratitude towards these members that I love so much and their love for me- the next day my fever was gone and we went to work all day. Again, small thing, but big blessing. 
   One of the families we are teaching has a son, Matt, who is in a wheelchair for life due to a severe car accident 3 years ago. He is trying hard to come back to church. He is my dear friend, I have come to love and respect him immensely, and his family. He is truly making so much progress- he is working towards the priesthood and receiving his patriarchal blessing. I am so proud of him. His 23rd birthday was this Friday, he had tried to keep it a secret from us, but we were having dinner with him and his family the night before (he had bought us both a steak and grilled it for us himself- it was so sweet!!!) and his mom let it slip!! haha oh yes- there was no way we were not going to give him a birthday surprise. To make a long story short- we found him a camo cake because he loves hunting and was planning on being a navy seal before the accident, and we made him a really awesome card. We dropped it off at his house the next day and he was so surprised :) again- little thing- great importance.
Dad- Happy Birthday!!!! I love, love, love you. :) I hope you had a great Birthday. I will be calling Sunday afternoon for mom on mothers day and I can't wait!! Mom I love love love you too. After hearing of Grammy's little hspital visit please know I prayed and always pray for her. I love her so much- please give me Grammy's address so I can write her and know how she is doing.
I know the Lord works by small and simple means (Alma 37:6) to bring to pass great things. Let us always do those things. I know God lives and hears and answers our prayers. He also uses us to answer other people's prayers if we are listening. I know Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer of all mankind. I know the scriptures are the words of God- The Bible, The Book of Mormon, all of it. I am grateful for these people here and their love. I am grateful for you, my friends and family back home!
 
Love,

 Sister Bertoldo



My district


No comments:

Post a Comment