Monday, May 20, 2013

Gulf Breeze


Dearest Family <3
It's crazy to think I have been out almost 4 months now...time feels so different on the mission! Much has happened since last Monday- in fact it feels like a lifetime ago!! 
To start I have to tell you about my new companion, my "greenie"- I LOVE her!! Her name is Sister Treibar, and get this- she's from BYU and she lived at Alpine Village with me!!! We were almost in the same ward!! She is a cheer coach and majoring in Physical Education and coaching so we get along soooo well- everyone thinks we are sisters because we look so similar haha and she is HILARIOUS! man does she make me laugh :) we are planning on rooming together post mission to finish up our last 2 years. What a blessing to have her! She is also a spiritual rock. 
   Here in Gulf Breeze everyone is in the Army, Air Force, Navy or the Marine- it's the coolest thing. Many families we meet are mothers and children with their husbands deployed for months at a time- here it is all about strengthening the women and children and me and Sis. Treibar are touched inspired and honored to be working with such brave and faithful women!! 
   The Bishop here is amazing- his name is Bishop Clark and he is a fulltime seminary and institute teacher for the church so his knowledge of the scriptures is UNREAL!! I love it- he really pushes us and missionary work. He has a different and inspired approach- instead of going out tracting, he wants us teaching members so that every member of the ward is a missionary and they provide the people and referrals for us, so that way anyone we teach will not fall away because they will already have a friend and fellowshipper in the ward! I think its amazing- very inspired, but it will take some getting used to so we are praying to learn and become effective and fruitful servants for the members and people here. We do a lot more teaching and lessons here than in Destin (which will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart and all the people there who I will see again someday) so as a missionary- I am happy about that!!! We are BUSY BUSY BUSY BUSY from morning til night. We also have the area split with the Gulf Breeze Elders! Elder Sanders (the tall blonde one) who is also the District Leader, and Elder Parsons, the missionary he is training. Bishop Clarke doesn't want 4 missionaries- he wants "400"! that's the number of members in the ward here. He is very passionate- all 4 of us have been asked to speak on Sunday- my topic is "hope" :) you know I love that topic- so hopefully that goes well!! 
    We have been tirelessly working on color-coding and getting to know the roster, filling our phone with all the contacts and getting to know the area- it's A LOT of work!! But its really coming along- I look forward to getting down to the missionary work part of it all!! We are already teaching a boy "Taven" who is 9 years old and trying to prepare for baptism. What a joy and privelage it is to teach a child the discussions!! It's an entirely new and different experience. I feel blessed and excited to be here and working with such a ward, bishop, women, companion, and Elders. The intensity is really amped but I know thast the Lord is at the head of this work so He will lead us on in it!! 
   I love you all so much. My new address is 7730 Navarre Pkwy #107 Navarre, FL 32566 I look forward to getting letters. A walmart gift card would be greatly appreciated!! We are lacking many basic supplies in our apartment and its costing a small fortune :/ thank you for your prayers and support my beloved family- I depend on them in this new area with so many new peoplel. 
These pictures are of my last day in Destin (it was a perfect calm day, I cried it was so beautiful) and also one of my new companion Sister Treibar and our GB Elders! I always think of Jared with so many military men and men of god- he would love it out here. Love you all so much. all ya'll. just kidding :)

<3 Sister Bertoldo


Saying Goodbye to the Smarts




Saying goodbye to Sister Barton




Saying goodbye to Sister Johnson 






Saying goodbye (tearful!) to Claira and Cynthia






No comments:

Post a Comment