Sunday, September 15, 2013

"As a Man Thinks in His heart so is He." Proverbs 23:7

Dear Family-
First off-I know Jared is having a birthday!!So jared Happy Birthday! Know that I love you and think of you often...I would really love to hear from you!! And dad- I read your letter as part of my personal study and learned a lot. I loved what you said about reverence being a reflection of our devotion and relationship with god- And haley and ashley I loved getting your letters!! keep them coming, even if I cant write back its not bc I don't love your letters its just bc I truly have 0 time for personal time and letter writing but I will try to find time eventually! I love hearing from you seriously...So this week was wow.

This area is absolutely exploding! The Lord is blessing us for our hard work and it is really all starting to pay off and come to fruition. We had Sarah's baptism on saturday :) I sang "When I am Baptized" and the coolest part was that our investigators Holiday and Mike (20 and 21, they are dating) both came to the baptism!!  Here is their story- mike just became a new investigator this week and what a story it is:
        We were teaching Holiday the plan of salvation, and then at the end when we were talking about the Celestial kingdom and how families can be together forever Mike spun around and said, "what did you just say? can I join the lesson?" He joined us then asked if we could repeat the whole lesson- we started from the top and he was riveted- he was full of deep questions dealing with life after death- he had clearly been contemplating these things for quite some time. Then as we were able to answer all his questions and turn to the scriptures he wanted to know what the Book of Mormon was- we gave him a copy of his own and explained what it was. He then had questions about baptism- we then taught the Doctrine of Christ out of 2 Ne 31- needless to say 2 1/2 hours later he had tears in his eyes and a smile on his face and said, "I have been searching for these answers my whole life. I think i may have just found the truth!" Then he said the closing prayer to the lesson. We invited them both to our baptism this Saturday and they came!! It was amazing- Then after the baptism we gave them a tour of the church and when we entered the chapel I asked them,"can you feel that? The Spirit is so strong here." They both sat and looked around and soaked it in- they said they felt it. We then taught them the Restoration- wow. I don't think I can express what that was like- teaching to people the message of the Restoration for the first time in the church after a baptism....those teaching moments are life changing!!!!! epic. They are not far from baptism themselves. 
      Sarah's mom carmen (the little girl we found and taught that got baptized) sent me a text later that day saying, "you found us- thank you. We love you. We have come back and we are here to stay." wow. that meant THE WORLDDDDDDDD to me! I love them so much.

      Earlier this week while we were out working we met a woman who is going through her 5th round of cancer- Pat is her name. She is strictly Southern Baptist but she let us right in and asked if we would pray with her. Of course we gladly accepted and we all proceeded o have an amazing conversation with her. We testified. We were also edified by her great faith- at the end we offered a beautiful prayer (all holding hands southern baptist style :) and at the end she also said a prayer and this is what she said I will never forget it, 
     "Lord please let people open their doors to these women and let them in- so that they may feel thy Spirit that they carry with them and be uplifted, as they have done for me. let people let them in." A baptist praying for people to open their doors to the mormon missionaries...that was a sweet moment!! We will be going back to see her- I hate to think of her there alone, her husband is gone a lot, but I know the Lord led us to her for a reason. He always does have a reason... I am learning that so much of missionary work is patience and unconditional love...people will act in their own time as understanding comes to them- that can take time- but meanwhile you continue to teach and to love unconditionally holding out faith. 

      This sunday I was asked to sing "O My Father" in sacrament meeting. We had 2 nonmembers come that we are working with because i was singing!! So I prayed- really prayed and asked that the Spirit could carry my voice to their hearts because that song is my testimony- it is the Plan of Salvation put to music. Then i went up and sang a cappella (as usual, I prefer that) And it was really an out of body experience- I know the Spirit has really been enhancing my voice and my spirit when i sing it is absolutely elating to my soul- everyone was crying and the Spirit was poignant- that is all i desired. I love to use my voice as a tool for the Lord to use to invite the Spirit- I really feel he answered my prayer that day and I am grateful to Him. 
      Us and the elders were also asked to teach the youth during combined 5th sunday! We are talking about how to be in the world but not of it- needless to say I am REALLY EXCITED!! I am passionate about that topic- I am passionate about speaking to youth- and I am passionate about teaching so I could not be more happy. This assignment will be after transfers though, so that makes me think I will be here another transfer- I think I will be here awhile- I feel in my heart this is "my area" and the people I was meant to find on my mission. everyone knows my 21st  bday is coming up next transfer so they are praying I stay bc they all want to have a party for me :) haha I love these people...I really do.

    I want to bear my testimony of the Atonement- I have come to realize that it is NOT POSSIBLE for me to make it back to my Heavenly Father or fulfill my full potential without my Savior and redeemer, Jesus Christ. It is not possible for any of us. It is amazing to me that once we give our will to God and just even have a DESIRE to follow Christ and be like Him- he then "takes us on" and all the times we fall short along the way, and in the process of our attempts and efforts to live like Him. The more I learn of Him, the more I love Him. I love sharing the love He feels for others with them- because I can feel it- I know how perfectly He loves us all, even if I don't understand it, and I love having the opportunity to share that with others and seeing how it affects them. 
    I have seen so many people softened and refined by the Spirit and the grace of Jesus Christ. This is a gospel of change- 
    There is a sister in our ward who has been begging us to meet her boys, they are all in their 20's, single, and struggling with all the things men of that age struggle with in this world. For months she has been trying to get us to meet- well yesterday, it happened. We went straight after church to her home and they were all there sleeping haha caught them!! They made us lunch and we helped them and ended up  really having a good time and conversation! Then i said, "so scripture time!" they just stared at me- haha we proceeded to share hel 5:12 and talked about how having a foundation in Christ carries us through all the buffetings of the adversary- and that's a promise!! The Lord doesn't make idle promises...I told them God takes us where we are at- we just have to start and then He will be with us every step of the way once we give him our will. They were completely intently listening to every word. I told them it was time for them to come back! Their mom is amazing- such a faithful woman so this has really been breaking her heart- she was ELATED to see them so engrossed in the lesson and nodding their heads in agreement that it was indeed time to come back. 
   It was amazing- then the oldest son offered to say the closing prayer and his mom cried :)) I love being a missionary. what an answer to prayer- her prayers especially. I see great potential in these young men- I know they all have good hearts its just so easy to get lost in this clamoring world. I know they will all come back though- and when they do they will be stronger than ever because that's how powerful the Atonement is- it saves us all. I love you all very much hope you are enjoying the beautiful fall!

Much Love sis b





Floridian foliage 



Sarah's baptism


No comments:

Post a Comment