Sunday, September 29, 2013

Their Minds Were Firm

"And now, their apreservation was astonishing to our whole army, yea, that they should be spared while there was a thousand of our brethren who were slain. And we do justly ascribe it to the miraculous bpower of God, because of their exceeding cfaith in that which they had been taught to believe that there was a just God, and whosoever did not doubt, that they should be preserved by his marvelous power.
Now this was the afaith of these of whom I have spoken; they are young, and their minds are bfirm, and they do put their trust in God continually."

Alma 57:26-27 


Dear Family-
this is my mantra. I read these verses 2 days ago and they have been on my mind ever since.they pierced me to my very core. 

Let me tell you of the glorious work this week- first off my new greenie companion I am training is Sister Schmidt and she is AMAZING!!! Truly- she is an answer to prayer. She is from Salt Lake City and she is 6 ft tall!! haha we are a really adorable contrasting height duo haha she is wonderful. thank heavens. what a blessing.

That 18 yr old homeless black boy Dion who I love so dearly- he came to church this week. we found a ward member to pick him up. Hecame to church this week holding the book of mormon I gave him 2 weeks ago. My heartcould burst. He sat with us. He took the sacrament. all the talks were on- can you guess?? The book of mormon! the book or mormon. he kept staring down at his and listened and listened- I looked at him and said-" i think the Lord is trying to tell you something!" Then for our gospel principles class it was on- can you guess? The restoration!!!!! I so testify that this is the LORD'S WORK. Yesterday was a powerful testimony of that to me- we did everything in our power to get him there- the ward members helped- and look at the messages the lord perfectly timed to be shared to him- the LORD always knew when Dion would come to church. How humbling- how glorious and full and amazing this work is. This is going to change Dion's life. He is homeless though and so for us to continue teaching him we need to somehow find a place for him to live. please pray that if it be the Lords will for him to continue on this path to baptism that there will somehow be a way for us to keep teaching him. I love that boy. If I came out on my mission just for him I would. it would be worth it to me just to put a Book of Mormon in His hands, testify of it, and then be beside him as he partook of the sacrament for the first time. 
    We had a powerful lesson with him and Juanita. we read 2 ne 26:24- "He doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world, for he loveth the world even that He laid down his own life...He invites all and turneth away know man to come unto him." As we read that verse- the spirit flooded the room. I looked into their eyes and told them they were children- sons and daughters of God. They have Divinity within them. Divine Potential worth and value. to tell someone for the first time, that they are a son of God- to see the look on his face at hearing that- HOW GREAT IS MY JOY! 

Last night after our dinner appointment we went to go see Candy (a potential investigator we met 2 months ago and have not been able to meet with since. it was 7:30 at night. I felt a distinct prompting to go but then we got there and saw that her husband was home- this made me nervous because last time she told us not to come over when he was home bc he isn't as religiously open minded. yet we were there- we didn't know what to do so we said a prayer- i have learned thats the only thing to do. Sis. schmidt said the prayer. then i went outside the car and just looked up at the tall pine trees and the warm sticky southern air, and the big sky with all the stars and asked god what He thought we should do- I said- they're your kids! what do we do? I felt to go. so we did. walking up to that house in the dark i will never forget how nervous I felt- this could go horribly wrong!! I just kept praying.....then knocked...it smelled like cigars...he came to get the door...i felt like i was bracing myself to a slug in the gut! then i got a prompting, "Smile and be bright" very distinct- be BRIGHT! so before he opened the door I was already glowing and smiling and exuding every positive emotion I possess haha and guess what?! he smiled back!! He came out on the porch and talked to us...then Candy his wife joined us, then we talked some, and then he INVITED US IN FOR A DRINK! He did- not her- haha it was grand :) 
      So we go in and he showed us all around the house and all the stuff he's working on. He kept calling us "ma'm" and was very respectful and kind. Then he asked some really profound questions- he said, "so what is your mission as missionaries? How do you know when you have fulfilled your mission?" and many other such questions. I answered and testified to every one. He is military so he really was amazed to see how similar a mission is in a lot of ways to military service- he was thoroughly interested and impressed. Then he said," i was supposed to be in Afghanistan right now- its a miracle you came by when I was home." He is originally baptist- the spirit was really there though- we all talked for a good 45 minutes. At the end I asked if we could come back- his response? Sure! :) anytime he said. We then asked if we could have a prayer and invited him as the head of the household to pick- he asked me and we had a wonderful prayer with them. It was an amazing meeting and experience. As we left I looked back up at the sky and told God, "thank you! I really didn't need to be afraid!" 

      God really does know His children- if we listen and seek out His will- He will let us in on what they need and miracles can happen. Because of that meeting- it will be easier to teach candy because she will no longer be in fear of her husband disapproving- so that was a crucial meeting!! Oh this is so the work of salvation. Just so you know- the weather is getting nicer- less humid and a bit cooler- this morning we ran 4 miles on the beach with sis. H who is my Best friend ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we go every monday- that is the only run i get each week so I savor it. I love it here. 
oh- and me and Elder Sanders got asked to teach the YM/YW for combined on the 5th Sunday- our topic is "how to be in the world and not of it :) a topic I am passionate about!! I will somehow find time to plan it...also this wednesday we are having a huge 1/2 mission conference and meeting a area seventy i am very excited. And fun fact that will make you happy to hear- when the ward heard both me and elder sanders were staying another transfer they went crazy haha I guess a yw stood up and announced in yw, crying, "Sis. B is staying another transfer!!!!" and all the girls were screaming haha that really made my day and meant the WORLD to me to hear :) 
also- a little girl today when we were at walmart came up to us and said, "Mommy look the Elders!" haha she saw the name tags and thought we were all called elders haha it was adorable- made my day. I love you family. I think of you everyday and pray for you. I will pray and write Grandpa. I need time to sort things out- I have not absorbed news yet.....I love him. Take care and enjoy New Hampshire!

Love sister b



all the sisters i have served with



my last comp sister richardson


me and all my best friends here in the ward! at a ward party. my girls- l to r sister hogan, my new comp sis schmidt, sister hernandez, sister stubbs. I love them dearly. family.



No comments:

Post a Comment